Q: heavy white smoke tailpipe

asked by on August 08, 2016

My car produces a heavy amount of white smoke when I start it. When I start the ignition white smoke come out of the tailpipe. But when I start to drive or give it gas a heavy amount of this white smoke is produced. Do you have any ideas on why this is happening?

That sounds like steam coming out of the tailpipe. You may have noticed the coolant level being low. If coolant is getting into the cylinders, it makes steam come out of the exhaust. This is a classic sign of a failed head gasket. Removing and inspecting spark plugs can confirm this. You may also notice the oil on the dipstick looks like a foamy cappuccino. Don’t drive it until you have this checked or the engine may get destroyed. Have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose the smoke problem and guide you with repairs.