Q: I have a cracked rim that needs to be replaced. What else might need to be looked at?

Hello the other night it's was raining and I'm driving on a winy road. I lost control of the car and hit a curb. I was able to drive home. The next day I noticed the rim is cracked and the alignment is all out of wack. I don't know what I messed up!!

Hi there:

Anytime the front wheels strike a curb, the tires and wheels absorb most of the impact. However, it’s also possible for tie rods, lower control arms or CV joints to be damaged as well during this type of incident. The best thing you can do is to have a professional mechanic complete a front end inspection; so they can determine what else might be damaged on your Ford Taurus.

Hello. The extent of the damage is going to be relative to how fast you were going when you hit, and how high of a curb you ran into. Anything over 30MPH can do some damage. When the vehicle is raised off the ground, a visual inspection will go a long way. Any physical damage will be easy for a trained eye to detect. After that, the smaller alignment issues are detected on an alignment rack. This way the computer can take more accurate readings than we can, and in a considerable less amount of time. With the amount of components that are vulnerable, you will want a full inspection. Include the control arms, wheel hubs, shocks and struts, idler arms, and all related linkage. Axle damage can also occur and will be one of the hardest to repair. Have the vehicle’s steering and suspension inspected and then make the appropriate repairs and adjustments.

3. I have a cracked rim that needs to be replaced. What else might need to be looked at?