Q: Overheating on short trips. 2000 Chevrolet Metro

My Chevy has 86,500 miles on it and it’s started overheating on short trips. I didn’t see any leaks coming out anywhere from underneath the car. Do you think it could be the thermostat or the gasket? What are your ideas?

A: Hello. There could be a problem with the wa...

Hello. There could be a problem with the water pump not pumping the water as efficiently as it should. This is a common problem with these cars. If the thermostat is faulty this could also cause the car to overheat, but it is not likely that this is the problem.

Whatever repair is done to fix your car, have the thermostat replaced as well. When a car overheats, it can damage the thermostat and should be replaced.

Finally, the radiator could be clogged or have a small leak in it. Because the car is 16 years old, I would replace the radiator. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose your overheating issue firsthand and advise you on a repair.