Q: When do I need a radiator flush?

I recently went to a Valvoline for an oil change, and they were pretty adamant that I needed a radiator/coolant flush just based on my mileage, but it seemed to me like they were just trying to upsell. I don't think they noticed an actual issue. Is this regular maintenance I should do, even if there's not a problem? About how much should it cost?

Hello. Your coolant should be changed as regular maintenance. The coolant in your car should be changed about every 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Having it changed will help the engine and various other components last longer.

If the coolant still looks fairly clean then I would simply get the coolant drained out and refilled. If the coolant is very dirty then a flush may be needed at a higher cost. If you need to have this done and would like a price quote, a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to make sure your coolant is maintained properly.

3. When do I need a radiator flush?