Q: Battery dying when I don't drive car very often

asked by on June 03, 2016

My battery seems to be having issues. In the last two months, the battery has died completely about three times, and I couldn't start my car. The mechanic says I need to drive the car more. (There's only about 25,000 miles on it right now, after two years). Typically, my car sits in the garage for 4-5 days between times I drive it. Would that cause the battery to die? What else might it be?

If you do not drive your vehicle very often, and when you do it is only a short drive, then yes the mechanic was correct. The battery will last a about a week before needing to be recharged with enough power to start the car. If you start the car and then only drive it about five miles or less, then you are not recharging the battery sufficiently. Such repeated draining of the battery will cause it to go bad pretty quick. I suggest using a battery charge tender to keep the battery charged between uses. This is a small battery charger that will keep your battery fully charged between uses.