Q: I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox with 150,000 miles on it. The check engine light and Service engine soon light both came on. I brought

I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox with 150,000 miles on it. The check engine light and Service engine soon light both came on. I brought it to a mechanic and he diagnosed it with a code of p0013. He replaced the spark plugs and both variable timing solenoids.

4 months later, It stalled when I went to make a left turn from a stopped position and the power steering was not working. I brought it to Chevy and they found intake and exhaust solenoid valves need replacement. Did I have this done at the 1st mechanic or are these solonoids two different things?

Thank you, Gretchen

There is only one oil control solenoid, per camshaft, in the variable valve timing (VVT) system. If both mechanics are referring to a solenoid or solenoids in the VVT system, then they are necessarily referring to the identical part. If the solenoid(s) were replaced earlier, it is unlikely they would have failed so soon. Dirty oil and/or the wrong oil viscosity can cause misoperation of the VVT system and that could be an, or the, underlying issue, and the reason the codes have returned, or there could be a problem with the wiring harness to the solenoid(s). To obtain a resolution of this, the recommended service is a check engine light diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.