Q: Temperature gauge jumping around?

asked by on February 11, 2017

When i turn on my 85 Toyota Camry, the temperature gauge stays on cold from when i turn on the car until I brake, then the needle starts to jump around, however it never goes up past the halfway point. I've checked my coolant levels and that's all fine.

Coolant Temperature Switch (Sensor) Replacement $88.56 - $354.95 Get a Quote

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a faulty coolant temperature sensor. The coolant temperature sensor, is a sensor that reads the engine coolant temperature and sends a signal to the engine control module, or ECM, to control other functions of engine operation such as the air-fuel ratio. When this is not working properly, you may notice an erratic fluctuation in the temperature gauge as you have described. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your car.