Q: My car has electrical issues - 1997 Toyota 4Runner

1997 4runner (4 cylinder)- Had intermittent starting problem for a while; now when the key is turned to start the engine, it doesn't turn over or make any clicking sound, the bottom row of dashboard lights (battery, temp, brake, etc) do not come on, power locks and windows do not work, and the gear shift does not move.

All of the interior dome lights work, the lights for the speedometer/odometer work, brake lights and headlights work. Battery is at 90%. Changed out a 40a fuse that was blown, all other fuses look fine.

Any ideas on what is causing the problems in the first paragraph above?

Hi there. Was the 40 amp fuse you replaced for the starter? Check all the other fuses and replace as necessary. A draw test on the starter may uncover a possible cause if there is excessive electrical draw overheating the circuits.

A good visual check of the wire harness around the engine compartment and under the dash for damage, melting, or chaffed wires will uncover possible faults as well. I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can perform an inspection for any electrical problems and provide suggestions for needed repairs.