My car has gone 136,000 miles. Yesterday I was driving and noticed a bit of smoke that was coming from the dashboard on passenger's side. The smoke disappeared after I turned the car off and took the key out. The parking lights stayed on, so I had to disconnect the battery. I checked the fuses and they are fine. What could cause this?
Hello. It sounds like there is a short in the wiring harness of the car. If the wiring comes into contact with other wiring, this may cause a short and smoke from the dashboard. This sometimes happens due to old age of the wiring, or because damage has been done to the wiring. This is considered a serious problem as shorted wires can cause a fire. Take the car to a shop that specializes in electrical work and have the car checked and rewired.