Q: Van overheated, leaked, engine shut off

One day, my van started overheating at a very quick pace so I had the thermostat replaced. It's worth mentioning that I haven't even checked the cooling system on the vehicle for a long time. I then attempted to get it refilled. It started leaking but I don't know where from. I checked the hoses and they looked okay. I topped off the fluid and checked a couple more things. After that, I was driving the van for an extended period of time and it ran fine. It was a 30-mile trip. The following day, the van shut off after driving several miles. It overheated badly. Jumpstarting failed. The van was leaking and steaming. The battery died out also. Is there any way to repair it? What initially caused all this?

Hi there. This could be a variety of things related to the cooling system for your 1995 Toyota Previa. Since you just replaced the thermostat, we can theoretically rule this out. You may also want to check the coolant fan relay switch. This is a small switch that controls the temperature at which the cooling fans come on. If this switch is not working properly, they may either come on continuously, come on intermittently, or even not at all. If they do not come on at all, this will definitely cause the engine to overheat. To determine the cause, this will require some testing using specific tools. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to the site of the car to diagnose and repair the overheating problem in person.