Q: Used part cooling clutch

I have a 2002 GMC Envoy / “trailblazer”. The cooling fan clutch is bad and runs non stop when cars running. It’s getting louder. Mechanics say 500. / 2 hr job. Can I just get a used fan from a junk yard and replace the whole thing?

Used parts are sometimes acceptable; you just have to be careful and appreciate the risks. For it to be worthwhile be sure the discount is substantial. As a rough approximation, a used part would have to be no more than half the cost of the new part to make it worthwhile. A good source to identify vendors of used parts is Car-Part.com. If you would like assistance, YourMechanic certified mechanics can install a used part that you select and procure or, if you prefer, install a brand new part whether supplied by you or purchased by YourMechanic for you. If you desire, you can request diagnostic and repair service at YourMechanic’s fan clutch service page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.