Q: Car overheating, but fan still runs

My car is overheating. The fan runs, but I am not sure about blockage or if the thermostat is sticking.

A: Hi. Several things can cause that condition...

Hi. Several things can cause that condition. A stuck closed thermostat, blocked radiator, a faulty water pump, or low coolant all need to be checked. The fans turning on is normal when the engine gets too hot. However, if the coolant is low, or not circulating, it does not cool the engine. The car should not be driven when the engine is too hot. That can cause further damage. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the overheating issue your vehicle is experiencing and replace any failing components.