Q: Can not changing my oil often enough cause a knocking sound?

I'm not sure how long my car has gone without an oil change. When I got it from my brother in law he told me that I would want to get it changed soon because he didn't know when his ex wife had changed it or if she ever had. It kinda just slipped my mind. Now my car is making this knocking noise when that mostly occurs when I'm going at a constant speed. I was wanting to know if the oil could be related to my problem or if I had a completely different problem in general.

A: Changing the oil regularly in your car is o...

Changing the oil regularly in your car is one of the most critical and important facets of regular maintenance. As you may know, oil has a finite life expectancy to it that varies depending on driving habits, temperature, engine design, engine performance, viscosity (thickness of oil) and many other factors. The longer you wait in-between oil change intervals, the more the oil breaks down and loses it’s ability to coat and protect internal engine components. The knocking sound you hear may be related to either low oil levels or potentially metal components inside the engine that are not being lubricated properly. In either case, this is critical and I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to perform an oil change service at your earliest convenience.