Q: Having a problem with the passenger side window switch; the window will go down but not back up

I have noticed a problem with my passenger side window switch. It will roll the window down, but it won't roll the window back up. I can only roll the window back up using the switch on the driver's side. In the past, I have taken the trim off of both doors to work on the speakers and apply some Dynamat. I just started noticing the window switch problem after I removed the trim to fix some rattling I was hearing in the passenger side door. I used some felt and butyl rubber to stop the speaker cables from rattling around inside the doors, and that fixed the rattling issue. After I noticed the window switch problem, I took the door apart again and checked all the connections on the passenger side, and everything appears to be fine. I took the switch itself apart all the way down to the circuit board, and that all looked fine. What could I try next? I was thinking that I could try to short-circuit the switch to roll the window up; if that works, then that tells me that it must be problem with the switch itself, or the wiring harness that connects it to the door. However, I'm not sure how to short circuit the switch properly, and I don't want to do any damage. I am still under warranty, so maybe the dealership could look at it. I do have a multimeter that I could use myself, but I'm not familiar with the wiring in the door, and I don't really know what to look for. Any ideas?

Hi there, this issue generally comes up often when we see a power window that does not work on the passenger switch, but still works with the driver’s master switch. It means that the passenger side window switch has failed. The fact that the drivers switch operates the window properly lets you know that the window components all function properly as that the problem is probably electrical.

A technician that is diagnosing this would use the wiring diagram to find the proper wires to test and check for power when the window is rolled up to see if there is power present when the window is commanded to roll down with the switch. Given that you are still under warranty, this scenario should be something the dealership would resolve free of charge as part of the warranty. If the vehicle is only under powertrain warranty and not the full warranty, the technicians at YourMechanic are able to provide diagnosis for your window and can perform a power window switch replacement for you if necessary.

3. Having a problem with the passenger side window switch; the window will go down but not back up