My dealer told me that I should replace the oil pump alon...

Q: My dealer told me that I should replace the oil pump along with the timing belt

asked by on July 11, 2017

My dealer told me that I should replace the oil pump along with the timing belt. While selecting timing belt service the optional service on yourmechanic.com shows water pump. What is the difference?

Hi There, There are a number of differences between the oil pump and the water pump, however the main difference is that the water pump pumps the coolant through the motor and is driven by the timing belt and the oil pump pumps the oil through the motor. It is sometimes common for the water pump to be replaced with the timing belt as it is replaced. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to properly determine what needs to be replaced.