Q: Grinding

My car was squeaking and now it's grinding' the car is moving jerkily. Lately when I put it in reverse it pops out as soon as I hit the gas and grinds, sometimes it physically won't let me put it in 1st also. My clutch was recently replaced. I have no idea what it could be.

A: If your clutch was recently replaced, you s...

If your clutch was recently replaced, you should take it back to the mechanic that replaced it. I do need to point out that replacing a clutch at 35,000 miles is very early. I am wondering what caused your clutch to go out so soon. I would expect a clutch to last over 100,000 miles at least. If you hadn't recently had the clutch replaced, I would suspect it had a transmission problem. The main reason to take it back to the previous mechanic is they have experience with your car and deserve the chance to make it right if they made a mistake.

It could be your clutch, transmission, or the clutch hydraulics. The differences in what it could be are subtle and require an experienced technician to diagnose your car. I recommend having the grinding noise inspected by one of our mobile experts here at YourMechanic if you don't want to return to the people that replaced your clutch.

Good luck!