Q: How difficult is it to replace a valve lifter and/or is it something worth taking to a mechanic?

There is a loud knocking and my grandpa, who is somewhat of a mechanic, believes it to be a lifter that is causing the issue. The car struggles to accelerate and will die if driven for longer than approximately 20 minutes.

Hello, thanks for writing in. Having lifters and valves replaced is best left to the professionals. Many times this can involve removing the cylinder head from the engine which will have an affect on the timing. Special procedures need to be taken to ensure that a vehicle has the correct timing. If a vehicle’s timing is incorrect, it can cause severe damage to the engine. Another benefit to having this repair done professionally is that you will likely have a warranty on any repairs performed. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

3. How difficult is it to replace a valve lifter and/or is it something worth taking to a mechanic?