Q: Clicking sound when the car is started

My previously owned car, with around 110,000 miles on it, has been making a clicking noise when I start it up. When the normal temperature is reached, the sound isn't heard anymore. At the dealership, they told me this is the usual way the engine runs. Is this true? Do I have something to worry about? Thank you.

A: This may not be a normal noise and the engi...

This may not be a normal noise and the engine may have problems with the variable valve timing system. Have the dealer look at technical bulletin L-SB-0028-09 dated April 15th 2010. It calls for repairs to the variable valve system gears. This is a major repair and should only be done by a properly trained mechanic, otherwise major engine damage can result.