Q: Gauges work, but car doesn't start

The car won't start, thought he gauges work when the key is turned. I think I need a new battery.

Hello. If the car does not attempt to start, but the gauges will move, then it is indeed more than likely a battery. It sounds like there is just enough power to cycle the gauges. I would typically start by doing a load test on the battery to see if it passes. If not then it needs to be replaced. If it is fine then the battery cables need to be checked as well as the power to the starter. There is also a common issue with the steering column lock that can cause this. If you need assistance, have a certified mechanic perform these tests for you to determine why your car is not starting.