Q: Fuel pump won't energize

'98 S10 fuel pump won't energize. New fuel pump, new relay, new oil pressure switch. If I reverse the two black wires on the pump it runs but the fuel gauge shows full with only 2 gallons of gas in the tank. If I wire it back according to the instructions the pump won't energize but the gauge reads correctly. If I bypass the codes and it doesn't help and I put the wires back to their original position will the computer reset itself. Please explain. Thank You.

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Either you have the wrong fuel pump for the vehicle or the circuits to the fuel pump are shorted together and causing an issue with the fuel indicator an pump. The pump should have 3 wires, hot wire, ground wire, and gauge wire. If you are able to get the pump to work with the wires backwards and then when putting the wires on correctly the pump stops working, then you probably have the wrong year of pump. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your fuel pump, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, that can assist you with your vehicle.

3. Fuel pump won't energize