Q: Fuel filter failure or timing chain?

A couple months ago when I got in my car to leave work my car was making a Awful rattling noise... That evening I checked the oil it was empty I had no previous trouble with oil leak, I was about 1000 miles over due on oil change.. Had a family member who's not a mechanic but fixes a lot on cars look at it had him to change my oil and filter.. A day or so later the noise stopped he said that the timing chain gasket blew off.. I had two different mechanics to look at it and said its not using any oil that was a couple months ago since that happened... They think that the oil filter gasket blowed or either busted.. I did hit a rather large pot hole that caused my car to scrape on the way to work that morning.. He is adimatr that he seem the gasket cover hanging from the timing chain... Car has been driving fine the only noise you can really hear is from the compressor when you turn the air off it stops... Neither of the other mechanics looked under the car just inspected it from the top.

A: I'd suggest to have a mechanic do a com...

I'd suggest to have a mechanic do a complete under car inspection. You need to verify what your friend said about the timing cover gasket coming off, as this may be a problem that needs fixed immediately or not. The running of the engine with little or no oil may have done some internal engine damage. However, if it is running quiet, then just maintain the oil level and change it as necessary. Running the car without oil can damage the bearings.

Get the inspection done to make sure everything is okay and so that you get some piece of mind. You may have just damaged the oil filter when you hit the bottom of the car or damaged something else which is why a full inspection is necessary.

If you decide to get it looked at, consider enlisting a certified mechanic who can perform the necessary checks to properly diagnose the rattling noise. An accurate repair can be made once the issue has been pinpointed.