It's a 2003 ford explorer I was wanting to buy it for the...

It's a 2003 ford explorer I was wanting to buy it for the low I drove it maybe 1 mile and it will shift into a gear but will not move in d or rev how can I detect the problem before I buy it Mechanic's Assistant: How old i...

It's a 2003 ford explorer I was wanting to buy it for the low I drove it maybe 1 mile and it will shift into a gear but will not move in d or rev how can I detect the problem before I buy it Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the [transmission](/topics-transmission-ford/)? Have you checked the [brake](/topics-brake-ford/) switch? I'm guessing. 2003 I don't know anything about a car where is the brake switch Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far? I haven't bought it yet I'm suppose to pay tomorrow I got it home around 9 so I haven't tried anything and yes my son is going to try to fix it if it's not to hard he will be home Saturday and the man wants a decision tomorrow Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? Tell him I'm clueless about a car but willing to try

Automotive Expert
Howdy from Tennessee, I'm Chris aka Moose. Who am I helping today? I'm glad you've come here to get help. I will do my best to get the answer you are looking for. I help many customers, so sometimes my replies are delayed, I will respond once available. I try to be online at 1-5 pm and 10 pm-5 am every day. - Will the vehicle roll in neutral but not in park? - Do the reverse lights only work while in reverse? - Does your son have experience working on transmissions?

Roll as in when I push the gas no I will go check reverse lights now he has some like replacing his on his cars but he only likes working on Honda's I would let him do minor on mine but if it's major I might not get itOh sorry my name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* GA but now living in AlIt only goes when it's in 1st or 2nd and then it's revern the motor up
Automotive Expert
Hello, Ginger Have you tried driving in 1st then 2nd, then shifting to drive to see if it will auto-shift 3rd, 4th, 5th?

When I started I was in 1st then 2nd then to D in D would not go so I put it back in 2ndBut I also don't know about the fluid cause you check it from the bottom
Automotive Expert
Thanks for those details. The first steps will be 1. Verifying the shift linkage is adjusted correctly and the computer is getting an accurate reading from the transmission range sensor and see if there are codes stored. 2. Next will be a line pressure test. 3. Then, the pan needs to be removed and the solenoids tested. 4. Then the valve body needs to be removed. An airtest needs to be done on the clutches and bands. 5. The valve body needs to be taken apart and inspected. This 5R55 transmission is known for issues. I believe you are going to find the direct clutch has failed and valve body issues, and concerns with the intermediate and overdrive band servos. Thank you for seeking us for help, I hope I provided what was needed. Press reply if you need to follow up. If you liked my answer please let me know so I can mark your question complete. Moose

Moose thank you for your help I will pass this off to my son thank you.again is that stuff you mention expensive to fix
Automotive Expert
The repairs can range from about $1000-2500 Glad to help.
Automotive Expert
-

Still not sure what you need?

Have a certified mobile mechanic diagnose what's wrong with your car, at your home or office.