Q: Loud Noise when braking at high speed

asked by on May 11, 2017

When I break hard at higher speeds (50+ mph) I get a loud humming sound that comes from the brakes. If I break at a low speed I don't get any sound. The steering wheel does not shake and I do not hear any grinding or see anything abnormal on the rotors. Please advise on what I need to do. Thanks.

Squealing noise from brakes Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. If the humming noise is a high pitched hum, or more of a consistent squeaking sound, it’s possible that it is caused by a build-up of brake dust on the brake rotors. In most cases, this is not a cause for concern, however, it could also indicate that your brake pads are low and about time for replacement. It’s always a good idea to have brake pads replaced before the wear indicators begin to touch the brake rotors, as this often results in damage to the rotor. I would recommend having a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a brake system inspection to make sure you don’t have any damage to the brake system or to inspect the brake pads to determine if they need to be replaced; which is a service we can also complete for you at your location.