Q: Ignition fuse keeps blowing

My car keeps blowing ign fuse . We've checked all the wiring nothing touching. Changed the alternator and the fuse still blows. Just wondering if it could be the ignition switch or maybe the starter.

A: You had a good start by tracing the wires a...

You had a good start by tracing the wires and making sure they were clean, dry, and not damaged. To make sure you covered the entire circuit, I recommend you use an official wiring diagram to check this. It is very likely there is a short somewhere in the system.

If not in the wiring, there could be an issue with the fuse box. This is unlikely if you are not having issues with other circuits. The starter can also cause this to blow.

If the starter is failing, especially the starter solenoid, a power surge may be being sent to the fuse and blowing it. You can have your starter bench tested, but they wont test if the starter is powerful enough to actually turn over the engine. It only tests if the starter will spin. The fuse is being sent a current that is too strong for it, and you need to find what is sending that signal.

If you’re unable to pinpoint the issue yourself, I’d recommend having the car looked at by one of our mobile technicians to diagnose your electrical issue and make the necessary repairs to your car.