Q: Will gears change smoothly in a automatic gearbox when planetary gears are broken

Will gears change smoothly in a automatic gearbox when planetary gears are broken

Hi there - planetary gearsets are used to reduce revolutions per minute, and increase the torque available. They are not directly involved in gear changes per se, but a broken planetary gearset will certainly cause a shift to fail if the gear selected (during an upshift for example) includes that gearset. And it won’t be smooth. Bottom line - if your transmission has a broken/damaged planetary gearset, you WILL notice! I recommend a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Will gears change smoothly in a automatic gearbox when planetary gears are broken