Q: Will gears change smoothly in a automatic gearbox when planetary gears are broken

Will gears change smoothly in a automatic gearbox when planetary gears are broken

Hi there - planetary gearsets are used to reduce revolutions per minute, and increase the torque available. They are not directly involved in gear changes per se, but a broken planetary gearset will certainly cause a shift to fail if the gear selected (during an upshift for example) includes that gearset. And it won’t be smooth. Bottom line - if your transmission has a broken/damaged planetary gearset, you WILL notice! I recommend a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• Will gears change smoothly in a automatic gearbox when planetary gears are broken