Q: Car starts and then dies

asked by on April 23, 2017

My outlook will start and run couple seconds then die. Then it will not start back again unless it sits for roughly 24 hrs. Then it will do the same thing. Run couple seconds. Then dies.

Hi There, A few different things will usually cause this to happen. A bad ignition coil can cause this if it is beginning to fail, resulting in intermittent starting problems. A dirty or faulty mass air flow sensor, may also cause this kind of reaction. The mass air flow sensor is a unit that measures the volume of air entering the motor and relays this information to the computer in order to cause the computer to make the proper air/fuel adjustments. A bad fuel pump or fuel pump relay may also cause this kind of starting issue as a result of the engine starving for fuel. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle to determine the proper solution to this.