Timing off with engine. 1996 l4-2.2l engine idle toyota t...

Q: Timing off with engine.

The timing of my car is off and it is running rough.

There are multiple issues that can cause an engine to run rough and timing is one of them. However, confirming that the timing is off may take some extensive testing or removal of several parts of the engine to access the timing belt or chain. I would enlist the help of a YourMechanic technician to inspect your engine. Have them go over the fuel and ignition systems first to check for faults. If an engine is running rough, timing is the worst case scenario so be sure the technician rules out every other possibility first. If the timing has gone out of calibration it is possible that permanent engine damage may have occurred.