Q: Car makes clicking sound when engaging gear and also while driving on low speeds

When I try to change the gear from P to R the clicking sound can be heard from around the front area of the car. Also when I am driving, I hear the clicking sound on low speed.

A: Hi there. The clicking sound when you chang...

Hi there. The clicking sound when you change the gear from ’P’ to ’R’ sounds like it could be either a motor mount or a worn CV joint (axle). I’m inclined to lean more to the axle with the clicking while driving a low speed. The motor mount could be broken and clicking under engine load when you change the gear to R. However, if the axle joints have run low on lubricant due to a leak, the bearings inside will begin clicking to indicate the initial stages of damage. A visual inspection of the motor mounts and axles usually confirms these issues; a split or missing mount bushing or grease around the area where the axle boot is located (a torn/leaking boot). YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a clicking noise while driving inspection and provide an estimate and direction of repair.