My Ford will go in reverse but shuts off and won't go if ...

My Ford will go in reverse but shuts off and won't go if I put it in drive. Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford? 2001 Ford F 150 Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? Wh...

My Ford will go in reverse but shuts off and won't go if I put it in drive. Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford? 2001 Ford F 150 Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far? No. Nothing yet. Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? No. That's it

Automotive Expert
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. I will do my best to help you resolve them. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. So what happens when you put it in drive? It stalls? Does it run fine in Park and Neutral?

I runs fine in Park, neutral, and reverseMy sister said her Ford did the same thing but it was just some type of sensor and not her [transmission](/topics-transmission-ford/)Are you there??
Automotive Expert
This could be a few things but I would take a scan tool and monitor the torque converter lockup and make sure it isn't locked when you put it in gear. This would kill the [engine](/topics-engine-ford/). Also I would monitor the crank signal and make sure it isn't dropping out. That is where I would start.

Ok. Is there anything else it could be??
Automotive Expert
This could be a few things but I would take a scan tool and monitor the torque converter lockup and make sure it isn't locked when you put it in gear. This would kill the engine. Also I would monitor the crank signal and make sure it isn't dropping out. That is where I would start.
Automotive Expert
Monitoring what I mentioned will help you diagnose it. Could be the crank sensor.