Q: I have replaced the rear wheel bearings and subsequent to that the speedometer stops working. what might be the problem?

asked by on March 08, 2017

I have replaced the rear wheel bearings and subsequent to that the speedometer stops working. what might be the problem?

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hello - you don’t mention your year/make/model, which would be helpful. Most vehicles now use electronic sensors for the speedometer function. Some of these sensors are in the transmission, some use the speed sensors in the wheel hub for speedometer, ABS functionality, electronic stability control (if so equipped), etc. It is possible that the speed sensor was damaged or the wiring simply disconnected by the wheel bearing work. If you could let us know what year/make/model you are working with, we can provide a better diagnosis. Thanks for thinking of us!

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr