Q: Fluid in the boot looks like power steering fluid

Last week I replaced the high pressure power steering hose because of a previous leak. After fixing that, I started next to replace the inner tie rods. I noticed that the boot had some fluid in it, which looked like power steering fluid. I checked the fluid level and it is steady. Did I cause this when I changed the hose or do you think it’s something else?

Hello. The fluid in the boot is a separate issue. If there is fluid in the boot it is because the rack and pinion is failing. These boots are not there to contain fluid but to keep dirt out. If there is fluid in there then the rack and pinion will need to be replaced soon. If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to replace the rack and pinion.