Q: F150 2006 thermostat spikes to hot after i am in 4wd for about 30 miles.

F150 thermostat will spike to hot from neutral after using the 4wd in the snow for 20-40 miles. I will pull over and turn the truck off for a couple minutes, turn back on and it will be fine for another 20-40 miles. When the thermostat spikes to hot the warning reads reduced engine power but i can still reach max speeds. I do not have this problem ever when driving in 2wd. It is inconvenient having to pull over in bad conditions to deal with this issue.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle is under more stress having to power all 4 wheels rather than 2. This will cause the engine to heat up quicker. You should be more focused on the cooling system than any other system at first. Your vehicle should be able to handle driving in 4 wheel drive for the duration your ranging in without overheating. Make sure you are using 4-Hi and 4-Low appropriately to keep the engine from being overly stressed. Regarding the cooling system, make sure the water pump is functioning correctly, and that your coolant is full. You can then check the function of the thermostat and the cooling fans. For more help with this diagnostic process, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

• F150 2006 thermostat spikes to hot after i am in 4wd for about 30 miles.