Q: U-joint or CV shaft that is causing my vehicle to shake?

asked by on December 27, 2016

My truck shakes really bad when accelerating. The problem comes and goes. The boot on the cv shaft is compketly torn all the way around. Is this the cause ?

Hi there. The CV shaft that has a CV boot broken can cause a shutter or shaking vibration throughout the vehicle. This is when the grease has gone completely out of the CV shaft and make the ball bearings begin to seize up. However, you will not get this type of vibration without a clicking noise. So if you are not getting a clicking noise too, then the center support bearing on the rear drive shaft is causing all of the shaking and huge vibrations. Go under the vehicle and push up on the driveshaft where the center support bearing is and see if the driveshaft has excessive movement. If the driveshaft has excessive movement, then the center support bearing needs to be replaced. If you need further assistance with your vehicle making a vibration, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.