Q: Overheating - 2007 Nissan Altima

asked by on November 10, 2016

My Altima seems to be over heating I don't know if it's the water pump it the thermostat I did the squeezing method to the hose the connects to the engine and I don't feel nothing flowing through it how do I tell if it's the thermostat or the water pump

Hi there. A stuck (closed) thermostat will overheat very quickly, in a matter of a few minutes. If a water pump has a broken shaft, so that the impeller is not turning, the failure will look the same, very little heat transfer to the radiator.

If the radiator is getting hot, and temperature goes up gradually, and turning on the heater helps keep the engine cool, the problem is more likely a clogged radiator or poor coolant flow. I would recommend having an overheating inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate estimate for repairs.