Q: Engine whines during acceleration

Hi. Recently, my car ran out of gas. After I filled it up, it would crank but wouldn't turn over. I tried turning it off and on again, restarting it but it didn't help. I pressed the reset button for the fuel injector, which didn't help either. I can hear the fuel pump working when I put the key into on. Why did this happen? What should I do? Thank you.

I believe that the noises you are hearing are indeed related to the power steering pump. If the fluid you are seeing is black, it may have metal shavings in it. These metal shavings could be a result of the internals of the power steering pump wearing away. This noise usually occurs when the fluid level is low. The only other reason this noise would occur would be if the power steering pump is beginning to fail. Since the power steering pump is driven by the serpentine belt, the noise will increase or decrease based on the throttle input that you give it. I would recommend having the sound diagnosed by a certified technician to confirm the faulty component and make the proper repair.