My transmission is shifting gears extremely hard. skylark...

Q: My transmission is shifting gears extremely hard.

asked by on April 04, 2017

Vehicles takes off fine but when shifting into 2nd gear it's almost as though something is "knocking" under the hood of the car. It does this with all of the gears. When I accelerate onto the highway the transmission struggles to shift which causes the whole vehicle to struggle. This car was bought brand new in 1994 and then the owner died in 1999 and the car has sat in a parking lot until 2015 when I began driving it. What might be wrong with my transmission?

Hi There, Generally, when a transmission shifts harshly as you describe, this indicates that it may be low on transmission fluid or potentially have a clogged transmission fluid filter prohibiting the flow of transmission fluid properly. This impacts the transmissions ability to generate the necessary hydraulic pressure to activate shifting solenoids inside the transmission that cause it to shift smoothly and timely. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your transmission.