Q: Engine Stalling

About a week ago, my wife put gasoline in the car, normally we put midgrade in but this particular instance she put regular unleaded. A day later I noticed the engine idling hard and surging. We passed it off as just bad gas and went on our way. The next day the engine stalled out in a parking lot while she was trying to park. It did this 3 more times that day. The engine was due for an oil change so we did that, and everything appeared fine. The next morning, the engine did the same thing as I was pulling into work. It does is frequently now when at stoplights and trying to park. We have since used most of the unleaded gasoline and replaced it with premium as well as treated the gasoline. Replaced the spark plugs and cleaned out the air intake system. The engine continues to stall.

If you got a bad batch of fuel this may have caused the engine to run bad and stall as the fuel may have clogged the fuel injectors. If the fuel injectors got clogged then they may need to be cleaned or replaced. The fuel rail should be removed and cleaned out or replaced to get the debris out of the fuel rail. I would also try replacing the fuel filter. You can have the fuel tested for excessive debris or water in fuel to find out if this is what’s going on.

If you need some help with these checks, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your home and diagnose the cause of your stalling issue firsthand. Best of luck.

3. Engine Stalling