Q: Engine overheating - 1983 Chevrolet Impala

I have a 1983 Chevy impala it had 70k mile when I bought it. I've had it for a lil over two years being put a lil over 10k miles on the register. Reads 83k. Lately bout two months ago the engine light pops on and car still drove fine but now it won't shift into third gear at all and the engine keeps over heating and white smoke come from were you put oil into the engine. Also a bubble/ boiling noise under thee hood when I've driven a lil over thirty mins and turn the car off. I figured I will need a new tranny but how do I stop the engine from over heating? New thermostat? Or water pump failed?? I toped it off wit 50/50 coolant but it seem like it not going thru the cycle of cooling. And had a leak rust color at front of the engine i think from wear the water pump would b located. I need help

As you know, overheating may be caused from many different things such as a failing water pump, a bad thermostat, a clogged radiator, a bad coolant fan switch or in some cases even a blown head gasket.

Start by checking your coolant to see if you find any traces of oil in it. Also, check your oil to see if you find any traces water in it or if it has a milky looking color to it. If either of these are true, this may be a blown cylinder head gasket.

If you are lucky, this is not the case and it may be something simple such as a bad thermostat or coolant fan relay.

Regarding your transmission, first check your transmission fluid as this is often times overlooked and can easily cause a car to have shifting problems when it is low. Assuming you have plenty of transmission fluid and it still has problems shifting, this may be related to something called a transmission control solenoid which is computer controlled solenoid that is activated inside the transmission and allows the car to shift properly from gear to gear by directing transmission fluid into the valve body causing the proper shifts to happen.

When this is not working correctly, this may cause the car to have problems shifting or in some cases not shift at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your transmission and overheating problem.

3. Engine overheating - 1983 Chevrolet Impala