Q: When I drive my car for 5 minutes, it shifts fine then slips into neutral. I have to shut it off for 1-2 minutes but it will do it again.

I drive for 5 minutes it shifts ok, then jumps into neutral, have to shut it off for 1-2 minutes then it does it again?

Hello, thanks for writing in today. It is possible that this is a speed sensor failing issue. There are a few things to check for. Are there any problem codes thrown? What color and smell does the transmission fluid have? Black and burnt? I would hope not, but with your mileage, I would not expect a "simple miracle" cure.

For an issue such as this, it is probably best to have a reputable transmission shop perform a diagnosis on this unit. However, if you’d like a second opinion, consider YourMechanic, as one of our technicians can come to your location and diagnose your shifting issue firsthand.

3. When I drive my car for 5 minutes, it shifts fine then slips into neutral. I have to shut it off for 1-2 minutes but it will do it again.