Q: Engine knock and low engine power

Good day, I purchased a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 approximately 6 months ago, knowing with a minor tick in the engine, I thought it was still worth the price. Over the months, I noticed the tick got louder, louder and louder now becoming a knock. I have had it inspected multiple times, had the Valve Lifters replaced, was informed that the rods and lifters were sturdy and tight that there was no visible sign where it could be causing the knock. So I have new lifters, the Engine Light is not on, but every now and again the Engine Light will go on. Usually for a day and a half then disappear. This happened twice. It has trouble climbing fairly small hills(roads) and will not pick up speed while climbing unless I completely press the accelerator pedal down then it picks up speed easily. As of right now though, climbing up a road, it usually sticks at 30km/hr at 2000RPMS until I get near the top. If you could please help me diagnose this, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. -Carter

A: Hi there: The problem with trying to diagn...

Hi there:

The problem with trying to diagnose a ticking issue remotely is the fact that it could be multiple; yet completely different mechanical systems that are causing this issue; ranging from the timing chain being loose, to fuel system components, emissions sensors or most likely cylinder head hardware issues.

Since you're sometimes getting a warning light to appear, it's highly likely that the trouble component has triggered an error code in the ECU. This can be downloaded when a professional mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, completes a Check Engine Light inspection. Once they retrieve the error codes, the issue will be much easier to diagnose.