Q: Engine cranks but has trouble starting only when it's cold outside.

I have had the starter and battery replaced. When it is about 40 degrees or colder my car will not turn over on the first try. I must keep trying for 5 to 10 minutes and eventually it starts. I had a major tune up earlier this summer where they replaced the spark plugs, coil pack, filter, etc. That's the only difference between this winter and last winter that i can think of.

When the problem is happening you should turn the key to the run position to see if theft light comes on and then goes out. If the system keeps the theft light on then you most likely have a bad key sensor on the ignition switch in the steering column. Have the theft system scanned to see if there is codes for the sensor and replace sensor around lock cylinder if you do.

3. Engine cranks but has trouble starting only when it's cold outside.