Q: Electronic steering lock error, car cannot be started

asked by on August 30, 2016

The battery in my car recently got drained so I had to jump-start it. After that, I drove for a while with no issues. The following day, I was about to leave, but I couldn't start the car. The electrical features were working correctly and the battery had power as well. However, there was an electronic steering wheel lock illuminated in red. The car won't turn over and is completely unresponsive. I can't put it in neutral. I don't know what to do. Do you have any idea?

Hello. This problem is usually caused by low battery voltage or an aftermarket battery. There are times when the lights for the car will work as well as all of the electric, but the car will not start because the battery lacks the necessary voltage to do so.

It may be necessary to replace the battery. You will also need to reset the electronic steering wheel lock to fix that problem. There are some DIY forums that may be able to offer you instructions on how to do this. If you would rather not try this on your own, contact a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, to inspect the electric system in order to pinpoint and resolve the starting problem.