Q: Drive belt is noisy.

When I turn on my car it starts making a loud squeaking noise. It looks like its coming from the driver belt disc. It smells burnt when the car is running and its difficult to steer during turns. The driver belt looks as if it is in good conditions. I added steering fluid thinking it was the steering wheel but it does the same thing

Hi there. The loud squeaking noise and burning smell from the serpentine drive belt, may be an accessory component is at fault. Given the steering is difficult to turn it may be, the power steering pump. The serpentine belt may be loose, due to a faulty serpentine belt tensioner assembly. Replacing components without diagnoses, can be expensive and time consuming without resolution. I recommend having your vehicle’s loud squeaking noise upon start-up be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

Hi there. It sounds like you may have a worn/contaminated belt. If the wheel is hard to turn, it can be caused by damage to the power steering pump or steering rack from the low fluid level. You may have a substantial power steering fluid leak that is contaminating the belt causing it to be noisy and damaging the power steering components. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car is making a squeal noise inspection.