Q: Door ajar alarm and locks clicking

Recently while driving my door ajar alarm will beep and my locks will click whenever I hit a sewer top, pothole, or am driving on a bumpy road. I was wondering if there was something wrong with my door or if there is possibly an electric problem. The car runs fine otherwise, so I was wondering if this would be a costly fix or am I going to have to learn to live with it?

A: The door ajar light is telling you one of t...

The door ajar light is telling you one of the door switches is opening, causing the light to come on and the door locks to cycle since the transmission is in drive. The best way to pinpoint the issue is to hook up a scanner that can see the door switch inputs and perform a road test over bumps to see which switch is causing the problem.

You may find it is a door latch that is worn out and not closing the latch completely when you close the door. Inspect each door latch and striker to possibly see where the latch or striker is worn. Some latches are plastic coated and the coating can wear off. I would check the driver’s door first. You will see the most wear on this door. If you see the problem then the door latch will need to be replaced to correct the problem. If you’d like to have this looked at, consider a qualified mechanic who can diagnose the issue with your door alarm and replace your door latch if necessary.