Q: Can a bad alternator cause the car to jerk loose power

Ever since I was told my alternator was failing more and more lately my car has been loosing power jerking when shifting gears or even jerking when in higher gears could this be due to failing voltage regulator alternator not sure if the clutch is failing or the alternator we changed the spark plus plug wires and valve cover seal think it was loosing power due to bad spark plugs but now my bet is on the alternator I can't even drive at night or use the blinker with out the Rpms dropping or lights dimming

Hello, thanks for writing in about your 2000 Ford Escort. It does sound like the alternator is not charging but this would need to be tested to make sure it is in face the alternator at fault and not wiring or another issues. If you need assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can diagnose your loss of power firsthand for an accurate repair.