Q: Does the timimg belt need to be replaced when the water pump is replaced?

My 2004 PT Cruiser need a water pump. Do you suggest replacing the timing belt too?

Replacing either the timing belt or water pump on a PT Cruiser is a labor intensive job. There is very little room to work in there, so lots of things have to be removed. It’s a rule of thumb that if you are going to replace a timing belt, replace ALL the old parts you took off to get at it, like the tensioners, water pump, serpentine belt and maybe even the serpentine belt tensioner. Reinstall any of those old parts and if one of them fails in 10 or 20,000 miles and you’re basically paying the same labor all over again. If you’re in there to replace major components like a timing belt and water pump, reinstall new parts and have no worries.

3. Does the timimg belt need to be replaced when the water pump is replaced?