Q: Car making clunking, grinding noise 2006 Scion xB

asked by on February 01, 2017

I was driving down the highway my car an automatic 2006 scion xb started shaking violently then a clunk and then grinding metal now makes clunking grinding noise when in gear only in forward or reverse. In park or neutral nothing. My car I just purchased used from owner and has been working fine for a few days until now it does have over 230000 miles. Could it be the flywheel or is it the transmission or transfer case etc...

Loud noises when car is put in gear Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - your symptoms suggest a problem with the transmission since they only appear when the vehicle is in gear. First task is to check the transmission fluid - you are looking for "clear" red fluid and no burned smell. I suspect, however, that more serious problem await inside the transmission. I recommend a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.