Q: Car making clunking, grinding noise 2006 Scion xB

asked by on February 01, 2017

I was driving down the highway my car an automatic 2006 scion xb started shaking violently then a clunk and then grinding metal now makes clunking grinding noise when in gear only in forward or reverse. In park or neutral nothing. My car I just purchased used from owner and has been working fine for a few days until now it does have over 230000 miles. Could it be the flywheel or is it the transmission or transfer case etc...

Hi there - your symptoms suggest a problem with the transmission since they only appear when the vehicle is in gear. First task is to check the transmission fluid - you are looking for "clear" red fluid and no burned smell. I suspect, however, that more serious problem await inside the transmission. I recommend a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.