Q: Car shuts down

asked by on February 12, 2017

My car runs smoothly, but when I turn the AC while driving it suddenly shuts off but when the car is "Parked" doesn't shut off but the motor drops like RPM, it feels like lazy. I ve done a test, and when the car is parked, on, and with the AC off, the motor is normal, but at soon as I turn the AC on the car somehow looses power even so that the interior lights and the headlight loose brightness, like from %100 to %40 light. Even when the AC on, the radio somehow loose power that music goes from high to low to high, like a wave. Another symptom is that, when I turn the AC on, the car shakes a lot, like a 5th category earthquake, and when I see the belt that its with the AC, the belt shakes like a wave like this (~~~~~~) but the belt is good and also the tension. For your knowledge, when the AC is Off the Engine works %100, no vibrating, no light brightness lost, no radio problem and doesn't shut off. The problem is when the AC is on, is like the Engine can't hold the power for the AC.

Hi there. Any time you run the A/C, the car will be reduced in horse power because the A/C runs off of a belt that powers the compressor. If the compressor is failing or was faulty to begin with, this would cause excess load on the engine and in some cases, the "earthquake level" shaking. It’s a good idea to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location to complete a car is shaking and vibrating inspection to determine what is the precise source of this issue.