Q: Do I need to change the exhaust manifold when changing the Catalytic converter? Your quote is 500 cheaper without it. Do I really

Hi, i got a quote from you guys to replace my Catalytic converter. But the quote includes the exhaust manifold which is 500 bucks. I wanted to know if it is absolutely necessary to change this as well. I just want to pass the emissions test. For a 2003 car, it's too much an investment.

Hello, thank you for writing in. Typically the catalytic converter does not require that you replace the exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifold refers to the manifold of tubes that connect from each piston, and bring the exhaust together to the main exhaust pipe. The catalytic converter is mounted on the main exhaust pipe further down. If there is a leak at the exhaust manifold gasket, or the manifold is cracked, then it may need to be replaced. With that being said, it may also be part of the reason you are getting bad readings at the oxygen sensors. Our technicians can replace just the catalytic converter, but it may not solve the emissions testing issue if the manifold is leaking. Contact customer service to get a better breakdown and explanation of the estimate.

• Do I need to change the exhaust manifold when changing the Catalytic converter? Your quote is 500 cheaper without it. Do I really