Q: Could the power steering pressure sensor cause my steering wheel to be hard or hard to steer?

I a brand new power steering pump but I didn't get a power steering pressure sensor could that cause the steering to be hard to turn?

Hello. The pressure switch (or "sensor") on your vehicle supplies a signal to the engine computer to increase engine idle speed as the power steering line pressure increases. If the switch were bad, what you would notice is the engine stalling or idle speed dropping very low as you turn the wheel toward the extreme left or right position.

If the engine is not slowing or stalling when you turn the wheel, then the switch is probably OK. Among the causes of excessive steering effort are very low tire pressure, low power steering fluid or trapped air in the system, damaged or loose power steering belt, and damaged steering rack.

If you would like to have this resolved, a certified professional from YourMechanic can diagnose your steering issue and follow through with needed repairs.

3. Could the power steering pressure sensor cause my steering wheel to be hard or hard to steer?